Amritsari Wadi & Peas Pulao
Amritsari Wadi, also called Wadiyan, are mildly spiced, deliciously flavored, sun dried dumplings made from lentils or pulses. In this recipe (Amritsari Wadi & Peas Pulao) I have used Urad Dal Wadis. The Wadis are slightly fried before adding to the rice giving them a very earthy flavor. Give it a try!
Write a review
- Long grain basmati rice - 1 1/2 cup (soaked for 30 minutes and drained)
- Urad Dal Wadi - 3-4 (slightly crushed)
- Peas - 1/2 cup
- Ghee - 2 Tbsp
- Bay leaves - 2
- Cloves - 3-4
- Turmeric Powder - 1/2 Tsp
- Cinnamon - 1 inch stick
- Green Cardamom - 2-3
- Black pepper corns - 7-8
- Onion - 1 cup (thinly sliced)
- Ginger green chili paste - 1 Tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Garam Masala - 1/2 Tsp
- Lemon Juice - 2 Tsp
- Heat 1 Tbsp ghee in a non-stick pan. Add wadis and shallow fry for minute. Remove from heat and cool.
- Heat 1 Tbsp ghee in a non-stock wok. Add cinnamon, cloves, green cardamom, black pepper corns and bay leaves and sauté for a minute.
- Then add ginger green chili paste, mix and sauté on medium heat till fragrant. Add onion mix and sauté till they turn translucent. Now add peas, mix well and cook for 2 minutes. Then add the rice and mix well. Lower the heat and add turmeric powder. Mix well and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add fried wadi pieces and garam masala into the rice with 3 cups of hot water. Then add salt, lemon juice and mix well.
- Cover the lid and cook the rice on low heat for 8 to 10 minutes or until rice is fully cooked. Switch off the heat and let it sit for 5 minutes and then serve hot with raita or any curry of your choice.
Hungry soul by Abha http://www.hungrysoulbyabha.com/