Bhindi Do Pyaza
Bhindi also called okra or ladies finger has acquired an exotic image in the west, but in fact this is one of the most commonly consumed vegetable in India. Punjabis love bhindi and eat it in every form, fried, curries and stuffed. Bhindi tossed with onions, tomatoes and some aromatics spices takes this dish on a different level. Serve this dry preparation with phulkas, paranthas or as a side dish.
Write a review
- Okra/Ladies finger - 500 gms, cut into 1" pieces
- Onions - 2, large, 1 cubed & 1 finely chopped
- Dry red chili - 2
- Cumin seeds - 1 Tsp
- Ginger garlic paste - 1 Tbsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 Tsp
- Coriander powder - 2 Tsp
- Red chili powder - 1 Tsp
- Tomatoes - 1, large, cut into cubes
- Green chilies - 2,slit
- Garam masala - 1/2 Tsp
- Fresh lemon juice - 1 Tsp
- Coriander leaves - 2 Tbsp, finely chopped
- Oil - 2 Tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Wash, wipe and cut bhindi in 1" pieces.
- In a pan, heat 1 tbsp of oil on a medium flame and add dry red chilies and chopped onions. Cook chilies and onions for a minute, now add cut okra and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add some salt, mix well and cover the bhindi for 5-6 minutes. Cook the okra till it is half done.
- Stir them after every few minutes to avoid burning. Switch off the flame. Keep it aside.
- In a separate pan, heat 1 tbsp of oil, add cumin seeds, let it splutter, add sliced onions, ginger garlic paste, some salt and turmeric and cook it uncovered for 4-5 minutes or till onions are light brown in color.
- Add tomatoes, slit green chilies, coriander powder, red chili powder, mix well and cook it for 2 minutes.
- Then add the okra mixture and toss gently with all the masala. Cook it for 2 more minutes.
- Sprinkle garam masala, coriander leaves and squeeze lemon juice. Mix well.
- Serve hot with phulkas, parantha or as a side dish.
- Wash bhindi on water and dry them completely before cooking so that they wont get slimy while cooking.
- While choosing bhindi , look for young and small pods as they are tender. Large ones are hard and tough to cook. Bhindi should be firm and bright in color.
Hungry soul by Abha http://www.hungrysoulbyabha.com/