Egg Dum Biryani
Egg dum biryani is a flavor rich and delicious biryani and my family's favorite too. The simple process of sealing the lid with aluminum foil and allowing the ingredients to cook within a covered environment makes all the difference. Relish this lazzatdar biryani with Raita or as it is. It will taste yummy. Give it a go, you will love it.
Write a review
1 hr 35 min
1 hr 35 min
- Eggs - boiled - 6
- Basmati rice - 1 1/2 cup (80% cooked with 1 bay leaf, 2 cloves and some salt)
- Onions - 2, finely chopped
- Tomatoes - 2, finely chopped
- Yogurt - 1/4 cup
- Ginger garlic paste - 1 Tbsp
- Ginger - 1 inch piece, julienned
- Green chilies - 2, slit
- Mint leaves - 1/2 cup, roughly chopped
- Coriander leaves - handful, chopped
- Bay leaf - 2
- Cinnamon stick - 1
- Black cardamom - 2
- Cloves - 4
- Green cardamom - 2-3
- Biryani masala - 3 Tbsp
- Green cardamom powder - 1 Tsp
- Red chili powder - 1/2 Tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 Tsp
- Salt to taste
- A few saffron strands, soaked in 3 Tbsp warm milk
- Onions - 2, thinly sliced and deep fried till golden brown
- Ghee - 2 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Prick the boiled eggs with the help of fork or toothpick. Keep it aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp ghee in a deep non-stick pan. Shallow fry the eggs for 2-3 minutes or they turn light brown from all the sides. Remove it from the pan and keep it aside. Let it cool down a bit. Slice them in half.
- In the same pan, add 1 bay leaf, black cardamom, cinnamon stick, cloves and green cardamom. sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add onions, cook it till the onions are completely cooked. Add ginger garlic paste and cook it further for 2 minutes until the raw flavor from ginger garlic has completely gone.
- Put turmeric, red chili powder, biryani masala. Cook it for a minute, add tomatoes and salt, mix well and cook the tomatoes till the oil separates from the masala.
- Add slit green chilies and ginger julienne, 1 tbsp each of mint and coriander leaves. Mix it well.
- Now add the yogurt and mix it well with the masala ( slow down the flame while adding yogurt)
- Add the halved eggs and mix it gently with the masala without breaking the eggs. Cover it and cook the eggs with the masala for 2 minutes on a slow flame. Remove half of the masala with half of the eggs in a bowl. Switch off the flame.
- Add half of the cooked rice over the egg masala. Spread the rice evenly over the masala. Sprinkle cardamom powder. Put half of the fried onions over the rice. Some mint and coriander leaves and 1/2 tbsp of ghee.
- With the same procedure, make 1 more layer by adding the remaining egg masala, then rice, cardamom powder, remaining fried onions, rest of the mint and coriander leaves and 1/2 tbsp of remaining ghee. On top, add saffron soaked in milk.
- Seal the biryani pan with aluminum foil, put a heavy tawa/ lid on top of the sealed pan so that steam does not escape.
- Turn on the flame and cook it on medium flame for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, turn on the other burner and heat a tawa.
- Shift the biryani pan on tawa after 5 minutes of cooking on a direct flame.
- Cook it on tawa for 25-30 minutes on a slow flame. Switch off the flame.
- Wait for 5 minutes and remove the lid and foil carefully to avoid the steam.
- Garnish with onion and tomato slices and serve hot with Raita or as it is.
- Cook the rice till it is 80% done as it has to be further cook in a dum.
- Instead of cooking oil, use ghee as it will make the biryani more flavorful.
- Make sure that the onions are fried till dark brown. Do not burn the onions.
- Use a thick base vessel for cooking biryani, so that the heat gets evenly distributed.
Hungry soul by Abha http://www.hungrysoulbyabha.com/