Dal is one thing which we often end up making in excess. And having the same dal the next day is kinda boring. So this is my way of using up the dal in a nice way. Parathas serve as a great breakfast, snack or tiffin box option and these dal parathas are no different. Apply some butter, roll-up and put in your little ones tiffin- healthy and tasty :). Or simply serve the dal parathas with butter, fresh curds or pickle and they will be over in no time.
- Whole wheat flour - 1 cup
- Leftover dal - 1/2 cup ( I used yellow Moong and masoor Dal)
- Onion - 1 medium, chopped
- Ginger - 1 inch piece , grated
- Green chili - 1, chopped
- Red chili powder - 1/2 Tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 Tsp
- Coriander powder - 1 Tsp
- Cumin powder - 1 Tsp
- Chaat masala - 1/2 Tsp
- Carom masala - 1/2 Tsp
- Ghee/Oil - 1 Tbsp + for shallow frying the paranthas
- Coriander leaves - 2 Tbsp, chopped
- Salt - 1/2 Tsp or to taste
- In a deep bowl, take whole wheat flour, leftover dal, chopped onions, green chilies, ginger, red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, chaat masala, carom seeds, 1 tbsp ghee/oil, chopped coriander and salt and knead into a soft dough using water. Rest the dough for 20 minutes.
- Divide the dough into equal portions and roll into a thin chapati.
- Smear ghee/oil on both sides and cook till it becomes brown from both the sides.
- Serve hot with butter, fresh curds or pickle/chutney of your choice.