Happy valentines day everyone! Made Linzer Cookies today. These are the perfect valentine cookies. These cookies also makes a perfect gift to give it to your loved ones. These nutty flavorful cookies always make a good impression on a holiday table, they completely melt in your mouth and they taste even better than they look. Give it a try!
Write a review
- Ground almonds - 1/2 cup
- All purpose flour - 1 cup
- Cinnamon powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Zest of one small lemon ( yellow outer skin )
- Unsalted butter - 1/2 cup
- Granulated white sugar - 1/4 cup +2 tbsp
- Vanilla extract - 1 tsp
- 1 large egg yolk
- Mixed berry jam - 1/4 cup, well stirred (you can use any jam of your choice )
- Icing or powdered sugar - 1/4 cup
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees C ( 350 degrees F ).
- In a bowl whisk together all purpose flour, salt, cinnamon and lemon zest.
- In a bowl of your electric mixer or with the hand mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy ( about 2-3 minutes ). Beat in the egg yolk and vanilla extract.
- Finally beat in the ground almonds and then the flour mixture (about 2-3 minutes ). Cookie dough is ready.
- Cover the dough with the plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm ( 30 to 60 minutes or up to 2 days)
- Line your baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove the cookie dough from the refrigerator. On a lightly floured surface roll out the dough until it is about 1/4 inch thick. Using a 3 inch cookie cutter (round, square, heart, etc.) cut out the cookies. Place the cookies about 1 inch apart on the prepared baking sheet. Use a smaller cookie cutter to cut out the centers of half of the cookies on the baking sheet. (Heart, square, star, round etc.) Re-roll any scraps and cut out the remaining cookies.
- If you find the cookies are soft, place the baking sheets with the unbaked cookies in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes to chill the dough. (This will prevent the cookies from spreading and losing their shape when baked).
- Bake the cookies for about 10-12 minutes or until lightly brown around the edges. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool.
- Place the cut out cookies on a baking sheet and lightly dust the tops with powdered sugar. Spread a thin layer of jam on the bottom surface of the full cookie (top of cookie will face out). Place the cut-out cookie on top and gently sandwich them together. Using a small spoon or a piping bag, fill the cut-out with a little more jam.
- The filled cookies will soften when stored. If you want the cookies to stay crisp, assemble the day of serving. The assembled cookies can be stored in the refrigerator, in an airtight container, for several days.
- This will make around 15 cookies.
Hungry soul by Abha http://www.hungrysoulbyabha.com/