Matar kachori is a famous Indian street food, a flaky, crisp deep fried pastry filled with spiced peas filling. Try this, you will love the soft texture of the filling, which contradicts the crusty, melt-in-the-mouth covering! It’s a great tea time snack. Serve hot with your favorite chutney.
Write a review
Ingredients for the kachori dough
- All purpose flour – 1 cup
- Salt to taste
- Carom seeds – 1 Tsp
- Oil – 1 Tbsp + for deep frying the kachoris
Ingredients for the filling
- Green peas - 1 cup
- Turmeric powder – ½ Tsp
- Red chili powder – 1 Tsp
- Green chilies – 2, chopped
- Ginger – ½ Tsp, crushed
- Amchur powder – ½ Tsp
- Fennel seeds – ½ Tsp, coarsely crushed
- Asafoetida – 1 pinch
- Salt to taste
- Chaat masala – ½ Tsp
- Chickpea flour (Besan) – 2 Tbsp
- Sift the all purpose flour in a bowl. Add salt, carom seeds and 1 Tbsp oil and mix nicely. Add water to make the dough, keep aside for 20 minutes.
- Take a mixie jar. Add green peas and blend it coarsely.
- Heat oil in a pan and add a pinch of asafoetida, ginger, green chilies, green peas and saute it for 2-3 minutes.
- Add salt, turmeric powder, red chili powder, amchur powder, crushed fennel seeds, chaat masala and chickpea flour. Cook it for 2 more minutes & switch off the flame. Take out the peas mixture in a plate & let it cool down completely.
- Divide the dough into small portions and round with hollow in the center and keep the stuffing (approx. 1 Tbsp)
- Close the edges & roll it lightly.
- Heat oil in a pan and deep fry the kachoris on slow flame for 10 minutes, until it changes to golden brown in color.
- Transfer it into an absorbent paper.
- Serve hot with ketchup or chutney of your choice.
Hungry soul by Abha http://www.hungrysoulbyabha.com/