Moong Dal Halwa
Happy Dussehra everyone! May this Dussehra lighten up your life and bless you all with happiness, peace and prosperity! Made this mouthwatering Moong Dal Halwa to celebrate the victory of Good over evil with my loved ones! A classic recipe that is relished throughout Rajasthan during the winter months, as it is supposed to keep the body warm and protect it from bitter winter cold. It is also considered to be auspicious, and is prepared during Indian festivals like Diwali, Dussehra, Holi and Indian weddings too. It takes time and lot of patience to prepare this Moong Dal Halwa. However, the outcome is worth every minute of extra effort you put into it. Do give this a try and let me know how it turned out for you.
Write a review
- Yellow Moong dal - 1/2 cup
- Ghee - 1/2 cup
- Sugar - 3/4 cup
- Water - 1 cup
- Khoya ( Mawa) - 100 gms (3 tbsp) [Check out my homemade khoya recipe]
- Warm Milk - 1 Tbsp
- Few saffron strands
- Cardamom powder - 1/2 Tsp
- Cashew nuts - 10-12, cut into 4 pieces
- Almonds - 8-10, slivered
- Raisins - 7-8, optional
- Wash and soak the Moong dal in enough water for 2-3 hrs. Drain well and blend in a mixer to a course paste without adding any water. Keep aside.
- Dissolve the saffron in a warm milk and keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a non-stick kadhai, add the Moong dal paste and cook it on a medium flame for 20-25 minutes while stirring continuously or until it has turned to light golden color and nice aroma is coming out of the dal.
- Roast the khoya in a separate pan on a medium flame for 2-3 minutes and keep it aside. Mix the roasted khoya with the Moong dal.
- Make a sugar syrup in a separate pan by adding sugar, water and saffron milk. When the water starts boiling, cook for another 5 minutes on a low flame, while stirring occasionally.
- Mix this syrup in a Moong dal, along with cashew nuts, raisins and almonds (Save some for garnishing)
- Now stir the halwa on a low flame. In about 5-7 minutes halwa will be ready. Switch off the gas. Add the cardamom powder and mix it well.
- Take out the halwa in a serving bowl and garnish with cashews and almonds.
- Serve hot and enjoy with your loved ones!
Hungry soul by Abha http://www.hungrysoulbyabha.com/