Peas poha is so wholesome and tasty that you can make it any time of the day, as breakfast, supper or a simple snack. Very easy and quick to make. It tastes best when had hot and fresh. It can also be carried in a snack box.
Write a review
- Thick beaten rice (poha) - 2 cups
- Oil - 2 Tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 Tsp
- Asafoetida - 1/2 Tsp
- Onions - 1/2 cup, chopped
- Peas - 1/2 cup ( I have used frozen)
- Salt to taste
- Turmeric powder - 3/4 Tsp
- Ginger - 1 inch piece, finely chopped
- Green chilies - 2, chopped
- Sugar - 1 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 2 Tsp
- Coriander leaves - 1 Tbsp, chopped
For the garnish
- Coriander leaves - 1 Tbsp
- Lemon wedge
- Pomegranate - 1 Tbsp, optional
- Heat oil in a deep non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the asafoetida, ginger, green chilies and sauté on a medium flame for few seconds.
- Add the onions and sauté on a medium flames for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the peas, 2 tbsp of water, salt, 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 4 to 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, place the beaten rice in a sieve and hold it under running water for a few seconds. Toss well to drain out all excess water.
- Add the washed and drained beaten rice, a little salt, remaining 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder, sugar and lemon juice. Mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the coriander and mix well.
- Garnish with coriander leaves, lemon wedge and pomegranate.
- Serve hot with a cup of tea or coffee.
Hungry soul by Abha http://www.hungrysoulbyabha.com/