Pineapple upside down cake
In case you haven’t heard, April 20 is the national pineapple upside down cake day. So why not celebrate this day with this gorgeous looking cake. Pineapple is a delicious fruit and when you add it and its juices to a cake then you’re bound to come out with a delicious treat! It’s a most famous and heavenly treat dessert to indulge in. The cake looks elegant but require very little effort and it’s super to make. It’s moist, light and perfect with a cup of coffee in the morning, or as a light dessert after dinner! The smell of baking just might make the neighbors beat your door down, so fair warning.
Write a review
1 hr 10 min
1 hr 10 min
Ingredients for bottom layer
- Butter – 5 Tbsp + extra to grease the sides of the pan
- Brown sugar – ½ cup + 2 Tbsp
- Pineapple slices – 8- 10 (I used canned but you can use fresh also)
- Maraschino cherries – 8- 10
Ingredients for cake batter
- All purpose flour – 1 cup
- Plain yellow cornmeal – 2/3 cup
- Baking powder – ½ Tsp
- Baking soda – ¼ Tsp
- Salt – ½ Tsp
- Unsalted Butter – 1/3 cup, melted
- Granulated sugar – 1 cup
- Vegetable oil – 2 Tbsp
- Eggs – 2, large
- Pineapple syrup – 1/3 cup (I used the syrup from the can)
- Vanilla extract – 2 Tsp
- Water – 1/3 cup
- In a pot, melt butter & brown sugar for bottom layer. Add it in the pan and make sure to spread it evenly. Butter the sides of the pan as well.
- Now layer pineapple slices over the butter and brown sugar mixture. Place the cherries in the middle of each pineapple slice. Keep it aside.
- For the cake batter, Take a deep bowl, using a hand mixture or stand mixture, mix granulated sugar, melted butter and oil. Add in eggs, vanilla, pineapple syrup and water. Mix until smooth.
- Now add salt, flour, baking soda and baking powder. Mix until well combined.
- Pour this batter over the pineapple slices and bake for 35 minutes uncovered. At 35 minutes, cover the pan with aluminium foil (to prevent over browning) and bake for another 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean!
- Let it cool for 15 minutes in the baking pan on our counter. Run a knife around the cake edges so it comes out smoothly.
- Place a plate over it and flip it at once to transfer it to a plate.
- The cake is ready to serve with a cup of tea/coffee.
Hungry soul by Abha http://www.hungrysoulbyabha.com/