Sookhi dal amritsari
Sookhi dal amritsari is very delicious & easy to make. This dal is very good tiffin option where in you can pack some protein without making a messy affair. This is nutritious dry urad dal preparation very common in the north Indian states of Punjab & Uttar Pradesh.
Write a review
- Split black gram (dhuli urad dal) - 1 cup
- Ghee - 2 Tbsp
- Onion - 2 (medium)
- Tomatoes - (2 medium)
- Green chilly - 1 (chopped)
- Ginger - 1 inch long piece (chopped)
- Garlic - 4-5 cloves (chopped)
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 Tsp
- Asafoetida - 1 pinch
- Coriander powder - 1 Tsp
- Turmeric - 1/2 Tsp
- Red chilly powder - 1/4 Tsp
- Garam masala - 1 Tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Water - 1 1/2 cup
- Green coriander - 1 Tbsp. (finely chopped)
- Lemon slice to garnish
- Wash the dal 2-3 times under the running water. Drain the water & soak it in clean water for 1 hour.
- Chop onions, green chilly, ginger, garlic, tomatoes & coriander. Keep it aside.
- Take ghee in a kadhai. Add cumin, asafoetida. Let it crackle.
- Add Ginger & garlic. Fry for 2 minutes. Add onions & green chilly. Let it cook for 3-4 minutes then put tomatoes. Add turmeric, coriander powder, red chilly powder & salt. Cook for 5 minutes until the tomatoes & spices are cooked.
- Drain the water from the dal & add the dal to the masala. Cook for another 2 minutes & add water.
- Let it come to a boil. Simmer the gas for 10 minutes & cook it until all the water has been soaked by the dal. Add garam masala & coriander leaves. Mix well.
- Dal is ready. Garnish it with some onion slices, Coriander leaves & lemon wedges.
- Serve hot with hot phulkas.
Hungry soul by Abha http://www.hungrysoulbyabha.com/